Sydney, Australia

May 7-14, 2009

I am in Australia! It is tremendously exciting. I am trying to upload some photos from an internet cafe but it is being very slow. I do love Sydney. It is well into autumn here - we walk through piles of fallen leaves in the outer neighborhoods - but the temperature is gorgeous. It's been sunny and in the high 60s ever since we got here, dipping into the 50s at night. When we return the end of June the lowest it should get is the 40s. Very nice; I could live with a winter like this!

The city is beautifully laid out along the waterfront, and although the transportation system cannot compete with London (nothing can, I suppose. Maybe Tokyo; I am eager to get back there and see what I remember) it hasn't been too difficult to get around. Of course we visited the Opera House and Harbour Bridge first thing. It is incredible to see such world-famous landmarks in person after seeing them so often in books and on TV. I am still a little incredulous just that I'm here, in the Southern Hemisphere, but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sydney.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that this pic of the opera house is from a different angle than what I have usually seen in photographs. Wish I was aboard one of those boats sailing in the harbor.

Karen said...

Glad you like the photo! I have so many shots of the Opera House from different angles is it embarrassing. I do not know how I am ever going to pare them down. I'm really proud of this shot, though, because I was lucky enough to catch THREE sailboats in front of it. The photo was taken from Milsons Point across the harbor, almost right underneath Harbour Bridge.