The Orangery


Saturday, June 21

We headed to Kensington Palace and its Orangery for high tea. The Orangery is a beautiful, rather small building with a soaring ceiling that was originally used by the royals to grow orange trees. Now anyone can walk in and order tea and cakes. The whole area is airy and lovely and each table had its own mini orange tree complete with tiny oranges.





Being rather hungry (even after my large portion of paella….yes) I splurged for the full Orangery Tea. The menu: cucumber and cream cheese finger sandwiches; fruit scone with clotted cream and jam; a slice of orange cake; and choice of tea or coffee. As I really don’t care for tea I kind of cheated and ordered a cappuccino, but since coffee was an option I think I can be forgiven. The finger sandwiches were…interesting. I love fresh cucumber sandwiches in the summer (made with my mom’s fresh cucumbers, of course), but the crustless English bread was so cheesy. It was basically Wonderbread. I enjoyed my scone a great deal more and piled it high with clotted cream. When my massive slice of ultra rich orange cake arrived I was too full to even hope of finishing it. Luckily Megan and Brielle assisted me (Megan most ably) and we polished off every crumb of that fantastic cake.

7 comments:

Megan said...

I love the new blog look...very flash! Your photos are so pretty but I wish you had a photo of the cake. So delicious...

Karen said...

I think at the point the cake arrived we were so focused on eating (well, I was) that I didn't even think to take a photo of it. Gluttony strikes again.

Unknown said...

Do they have decent non-spongy whole wheat bread there? Maybe at the portobello market or at a good bakery. Jan brought us zingerman's bread this weekend--yummy. Great new look on the blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks (i think) for making it easy to find the fug girls, i've spent the past hour laughing hilariously.

Karen said...

Oh yeah, you can totally find wheat bread at the store. It's just that the super-special traditional finger sandwich bread is....little better than Wonderbread. Very strange. I am jealous of your Zingerman's bread!

The Fug Girls were the very second blog to go on my list once I figured out how to link to others (Megan was first, of course!). They are my favorite bloggers ever.

Carolyn said...

So Karen... tell me... what in the HELL is clotted cream?!

Karen said...

Heh, no idea. Wikipedia says: "Clotted cream is a thick yellow cream made by heating unpasteurized cow's milk and then leaving it in shallow pans for several hours. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots'. True Cornish clotted cream...has a minimum fat content of 55%." Wow!

I've heard of some people disliking it but to me it seriously tastes just like butter, only thicker, creamier and richer. Spread over a warm scone it's absolutely delicious and a must try if you're ever in England.