Beginnings

Tuesday, June 10

I moved into my new flat today! I met the Greek girls and saw their flat twice on Saturday and Monday, and I loved it. My room is quite small but that's just fine; the rest of the flat is more than big enough to make up for it. Tina and Mirto, both originally from Athens, are super nice and we get along quite well. Tina has been in the UK for 8 years - she went to college in Edinburgh and has been working in London for the past 3 years - and has her own car in the city, a very stylish MiniCoop. This MiniCoop was my absolute savior because it transported my hideously heavy luggage from Megan's to the new place. I would have rolled my suitcase along the sidewalks if I had to, but oh, am I glad I didn't have to.

Everything's in a bit of a mess as I haven't had time to settle in, since I started work on Monday. I love my internship already. Everyone I've met in the office so far is wonderfully nice and determined to help us interns gain experience. My first assignment was researching several business-oriented events and conferences in select European cities for a sidebar, then writing up a summary and formatting each event. It was quite simple to do and I enjoyed doing it. And I think this means my words will appear in the magazine, so that's exciting.

Brielle, the other American intern who's already been here for a week, has been showing me the ropes a bit and I know we're going to have a good time working together this summer. For lunch we went out for Indian food at Meráz Café, a sweet little restaurant right off Brick Lane - the Brick Lane, the center of London's Indian and Pakistani community. I had to read the novel Brick Lane for my European history class my sophomore year of college. I'd really wanted to visit the neighborhood during my trip to London last summer but never managed it, so I'm pleased that we work so close. Meráz has an absolutely scrumptious chicken korma (my favorite Indian dish; of course I must love anything with coconut milk in it) and I know we'll be going back many times this summer.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I am so jealous of your daily Indian curries. you have no idea...

Karen said...

I am indeed blessed. Though I still fantasize about that insanely delicious vegetarian restaurant right across the street from your office. I need to find a way to get over there again someday.