Cheboygan, Michigan



September 20-21, 2008

After yet another long night camped out in Heathrow Airport – this seems to happen to me a lot, for some reason – I finally returned to Michigan on September 10, in the brilliant sunshine of the closing days of summer. I was so happy to see the beach and the full spread of Lake Huron again. I loved London, I couldn't have asked for a better summer there, but after awhile so many people and buildings felt suffocating. I am definitely someone who needs wide-open spaces.

On my last day of work the end of August the entire office held a company party at a park in suburban London. There was much drinking – especially by the rather wild sales team – and amateur playing of cricket. I had a ball, simply relaxing and chatting with all the good friends I’d made on the editorial floor. I am so thankful for my internship. It was a wonderful experience full of wonderful people, and two of my editors wrote me fantastic letters of recommendation that helped me get into grad school. I definitely got lucky when I found them.

I had no trouble readjusting except for a lingering sense of strangeness over driving on the right side of the road. After so long catching and riding buses on the left, that had become normal to me. Luckily I never actually attempted to follow my instincts. And months later I still miss Sainsbury’s fruit & nut muesli. I ate a big bowl with yogurt and honey nearly every day I was in London – so delicious! – and I have never found anything that could compare in the States. Sadness.



A week after my return I joined some friends on a quick camping trip to Cheboygan, at the northern tip of Lower Michigan. I love visiting Cheboygan. The drive north on US-23 is beautiful; for long portions the road runs right alongside Lake Huron. We always stay at the same rustic cabin fronting the beach with a view of the Straits of Mackinac. Saturday we drove into Mackinaw City to buy fudge – required, of course – and a bonus item: kites. We flew the kites on the beach; they soared straight up in the brisk wind off the lake. I can’t remember the last time I flew a kite – I’d forgotten how much fun it is! The rest of the evening was classic camp activities: big beach bonfire, roasted marshmallows and s’mores, Frisbee playing, guitar strumming, stargazing, board games played by kerosene lantern in the cabin. Sunday morning we hiked the sandy trail to the point and looked at the Mackinac Bridge from afar before packing up.

I do love camping. It’s such a Michigan thing to do, and how nice to jump right back in after a summer abroad.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

People I meet from other state or countries rarely comprehend that we virtually live on an ocean with white sand beaches. When I tell them how beautiful it is, they look at me as if I'm making it up!

Tres Jolie Studios said...

I want to fly a kite.

Karen said...

I know! I cannot believe how many people - who have never even been to Michigan, mind you - have tried to insist that I don't live on the beach, I live on "the shore." Trust me people, when we're talking about bodies of water this size it's not the lakeshore, it's a coastline. And only Alaska has more coastline than Michigan in the entire U.S.

Karen said...

Meg, do you remember hanging out in that park in Chiswick and that man's fancy performance kite dive-bombing us? Ha! That was a great day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Cheboygan to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane