Covent Garden Night Market



Friday, August 22nd

My time in London has been marked by my frequent trips to markets. In June we spent a morning at Portobello Market in Notting Hill; in early July we visited Brixton Market in south London; the following weeks I made two separate trips to Spitalfields Market near Liverpool Street Station. Now in late August Megan and I have taken to visiting the Covent Garden Night Market, held every Thursday and Friday this month. The first Friday on August 15th we couldn’t find the market at first, entertainingly enough. We went the wrong way around the square and paused in our battling the crowds to eat some delicious paella. It was only afterward that we realized those very crowds were blocking our view of the market itself, which had been on the other side of the square the whole time.

The Night Market is distinguished by its focus on fine foods – the vendors, in elegantly appointed black-draped stalls, were selling premium meats, cheeses, and pastries. The whole place smelled incredible. Megan happily went about using up her change on yummy cookies, bagels and nectarines, while I (still hungry even after paella) splurged on a massive crepe. We found a comfy spot on the cobblestones and merrily watched all the people thronging the square.



The next week we returned, nabbed some ice cream and found front-row spots to watch a live cooking demonstration. The chocolate-obsessed chef made a rather crazy chocolate gazpacho. He didn’t offer any tastings so I have no idea if it was any good . . . but I’m sure it was unique. Afterward we found an excellent people-watching spot on the edge of the square that turned out to be directly behind a traveling street performer’s setup. His dancing and tricks were rather bizarre but entertaining all the same. But then a drunk hobo, stereotypically and hilariously swigging a full bottle of chardonnay, sprawled on the step next to us and scared away a young child before finally driving us from our spot. The markets attract all types . . . which is what makes them the heart of city life, heh.

2 comments:

Megan said...

You didnt write about the terrible child standing behind you. Oh the fire in your eyes!

Karen said...

Haha, I don't know how to tell that story without making myself look bad too. "Well, I left my spot and this snotty teenager tried to steal it, so when I came back I totally ignored her and just stood right in front of her and really pissed her off." But oh, was it satisfying to hear her pitch a mini hissy fit!