Explorations



Saturday, June 5

We’ve seen a great deal of the city today. We journeyed south to the Brixton Market to satisfy Megan’s craving for Jamaican jerk chicken. Brixton apparently forms the hub of London’s West Indian population. Although the market isn’t that large it is rather confusingly laid out, so it took us some time before we could hunt down the elusive chicken. The densely packed stalls, grimy streets and thick Caribbean accents all around brought me right back to the Bahamas. I didn’t even have to close my eyes to imagine I was in Nassau. At last we found some food stalls and I ended up buying my chicken from a teeny shop underneath a staircase. I found the chicken quite tasty but really enjoyed the beans & rice drizzled with curry sauce that went with it.


From grubby Brixton we headed to posh Pimlico and the Tate Britain museum to view Martin Creed’s Work #850. Which was . . . running. Literally, a young sprinter pelting through part of the gallery every 30 seconds. When Megan first described this art installation to me I thought it ridiculous and wondered again how some people got paid huge sums for bizarrely simple works of “art.” The actual thing, though, was surprisingly captivating. Megan and I stayed in this gallery watching people run by for over an hour. An hour. We would have stayed even longer but the runners finally stopped their circuit about 6 p.m. There’s something mesmerizing about standing in a long, echoing gallery and every 30 seconds, almost to the second (we timed it) someone blowing by at top speed, huffing and puffing all the while. It’s like a slow-motion tennis match, watching the runners traverse one end of the gallery to the other every half a minute—you can’t take your eyes off them. I still find the concept a little strange (and envy an artist who gets paid for having other people run for him), but in person the installation is well worth seeing. Especially since it's free!




We intended to head straight home after the museum but somehow ended up wandering along the Thames and up Whitehall all the way past Trafalgar Square. We lingered for quite a while outside Parliament, playing with camera settings and experimental shots. I have so many photos of Parliament and Big Ben but I can’t help taking more every time I see it; the building is just too gorgeous. On top of that we got sidetracked by the dazzling purple flowers in Parliament Square.


In a moment of happy randomness we found Trafalgar in the grip of the London Pride Festival. A few thousand people were packed into the small square watching some young pop star strutting about on a stage erected beneath Nelson’s statue. A good chunk of the LGBT crowd were elaborately costumed in leather and feathers and outrageous wigs, and an exuberant young man was dancing shirtless among the pillars of the National Gallery. Fun!

The singer finished her set and a manager came onstage directing everyone to watch the large screen for . . . . the season finale of Dr. Who. As in the actual television episode, blown up on the screen that had just been showing the concert. As in they stopped an entire rocking festival in its tracks to settle down and watch a TV show. WHAT.

I can’t imagine any American concert pausing to air Lost or Desperate Housewives. I knew Dr. Who was huge over here, but I had no idea it was that huge. Oh, England. I love it when you’re weird.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Ha ha ha, it is the guy who runs funny!!

Karen said...

I know! I think he was actually my favorite. His limbs were just all over the place.

Carolyn said...

So no pictures of gay people in feathers? Slacker!

Karen said...

Tsk, I know. I was all pictured-out by that point. Plus we were right in the midst of the be-feathered people, so that may have been...weird. Megan got a fantastic video of the shirtless dancing guy, though. It is a wonder to behold.